After a very honest word with myself, I’ve decided to write down and put out the nonsense that takes over my mind when approaching 19th June (my birthday). Since my early twenties, when ever my birthday is coming up, I get these overwhelmingly sad and lost and disappointed feelings, to the point where I cancel any plans or make no effort to arrange any. I dwell in this self-pity, self-loathing cynical cycle and live in ‘victim’ mode. And it’s TORTURE.
My Instagram account (@mirallegro) may give off the impression that I’ve lead a very carefree life and have mastered life’s purpose of being HAPPY. But the truth is, only this time last week, I woke up – on my birthday – burst out crying and just lay there feeling sad and alone and disappointed. And don’t get me wrong, the perception I give off is genuine. I really really try to lead my life as positive and truthful as possible, to give and be as much as I can physically give and be. But that’s not to say that sometimes, I feel like this isn’t enough.
Especially as a milestone/ birthday/ anniversary/ date hits you and suddenly all of your major goals and plans that you expected to happen, haven’t. For years I’ve struggled with this. Putting too much unnecessary pressure on myself. Not dealing with emotions properly and not seeing them for that there really were – an opportunity to heal. An opportunity to understand me more. To grow. To learn. To recognise and realise. Realise that maybe going off track and feeling so terrified is all part of the plan, and actually you were ON track the entire time. Maybe it was life calling you to dig deeper, to feel more, to learn about fear, to learn about yourself.
Thus I bring to you 25 things I’ve learnt before turning 25
- Be kind to yourself
- What is meant for you won’t pass by you
- Live as eco friendly as you can
- Connect with nature
- Drink more water
- Don’t fall for marketing/advertising/everything you see
- Make peace with your body
- Listen to your intuition
- Listen, and I mean really listen to everyone
- Accept yourself and accept others for who you/they are
- Tell your family and friends how much you love them and WHY
- Set yourself goals and work towards them – but don’t be too hard on yourself!
- What you eat affects your MOOD so nourish your body and soul (vegans rule)
- Be open, honest and grateful
- Don’t stop learning
- Travelling is the best money spent
- Find what you’re good at and do it with love
- Chase dreams not people
- Exercise because it makes you feel good not to loose weight
- You have everything you need within you… Believe in yourself
- Sleep is SO important
- Always read more
- Love every single part of yourself
- Be YOU, when you live as you, you live wild. You live with passion. You live free.
I wanted to share this with you in case you too have those feelings of doubt. But know that where you are where you are right now, is exactly where you need to be. My entire path has been so full of ups and downs, highs and lows, ins and outs, which has lead me to this very moment. Sitting here sharing my story with you, encouraging you to be brave, to feel safe and to believe in your TRUE self.
May your faith always be bigger than your fear. Here’s to many more birthdays.